Tuesday, June 16, 2009

the map.

Imagine if...

Laney and I are driving towards our vacation destination. The location is unknown to me because Laney has planned this particular trip. Being the driver, I am totally dependent on Laney to tell me when to turn because Laney is holding the map. If I'm smart, I will look to Laney every few minutes to make sure that I am still on the right course. You can imagine what her facial expressions would be if I was headed in the wrong direction.

See, I was thinking about how God holds the map to our lives. But, all we see is the road in front of us. In my case, I spend a lot of time trying to figure out the directions on my own. When you think about the story of Laney and I on vaction, it would make absolutely no sense for me to make decisions on my own. It would be much easier to look to Laney for directions. When we have been making turns in life on our own and find ourselves in the middle of nowhere, we don't deserve for God to bail us out. I mean after all, we thought we had the better route when He was holding the map the whole time. But God is gracious, and is willing to put us back on the path that leads to our destination. All we have to do is keep our eyes on Him and wait for directions.

2 comments:

  1. one of the most profound things I've ever heard you say... reminds me of the old days when you were basically Dear Abby to me. :) I'll probably remember this lil' story for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete